Roles at Tortoise
Data journalist, Tortoise Intelligence
Where do I work?
Tortoise, 16-19 Eastcastle Street, London
Why are we here?
The world needs a different kind of newsroom. Not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. We’re here to build a journalism that lasts. A business model that’s responsible and sustainable.
As part of our mission, we are building an innovative new Index platform to organise data around our five themes – technology, identity, ageing, finance, natural resources – and provide a systematic and visually powerful way to monitor and report on these issues.
Reporting to the Director of Tortoise Intelligence, you will work on developing our first Index, which will set a template for how we produce further indices. You will help to collate and analyze data, extract key findings, and produce a final report of national rankings with accompanying data visualizations and interactive storytelling.
In collaboration with the rest of the team, you will:
- Help to identify official datasets and other data sources.
- Download, extract, and analyze data.
- Combine and weight data from disparate sources in accordance with the agreed methodology.
- Generate ranked listings of nations, subdivided by region and metric.
- Analyze our results to extract key findings.
- Collaborate with the rest of the data team and our journalists to produce compelling visual stories that lead readers through our findings.
Skills & experience
- Strong analytical skills with a good understanding of statistics and statistical analysis, and experience handling various data sets.
- Experience with data analytics package such as R, Python, or equivalent.
- Ability to scrape, clean, parse and query data.
- Experience of visualising data, using either tools or scripts.
- Proactive and well organised.
- Degree-level qualification.
- Experience using Flourish.
- Strong communication skills, ability to communicate complex and technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Experience of GIS or other mapping software.
- Experience working on Indices or equivalent.
- Experience with using machine learning for data analysis.
Working with us
We are a new and progressive business with a diverse, motivated team; a mix of veterans and young people starting out on their careers. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees, and we welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.